China Shrimp Market 2018 Update : Dec 5, 2018
1. Vannamei raw material price has been much higher than other Asian countries. The shrimp harvest in China for 2018 is estimated at 550,000 MT according to frozen seafood exporters.
2. Of the 550,000 MT of shrimp,, it is estimated 75%-80% is for domestic market according to seafood suppliers and exporters.
3. China imported approximately 450,000 MT of shrimp in 2018. This is an estimated figure as exact import volumes are not possible to determine as large volumes of shrimp enter China unofficially through various ports including Hai Phong. Possibly as little as 45,000 MT enters China through official entry ports.
4. China shrimp suppliers are struggling to compete with other producing countries. Countries. Chinese processors haveset up processing facilities in Indonesia and Vietnam and others are looking at starting up in India.
5. Chinese shrimp harvest have remained stubbornly low as a result of:
a. Weak fry
b. Poor feed quality
c. Industrial pollution
d. High land prices, investments in coastal cities going toward building resorts instead of shrimp farms
e. Diseases – Very little progress or action taken by farmers to combat various shrimp diseases.
f. Flooding – typhoon and heavy rains
g. Importing of raw HLSO from India which is always cheaper than local vannamei shrimp supplies and discourages local aquaculture.
For 2019, I we are not looking at any significant improvement in China shrimp harvests.