India Squid Market Update : January 23, 2016
Landings in Mumbai and Gujarat to squid suppliers have dropped considerably due to normal seasonal drop in temperature. Only some smaller catches are occurring with main sizes U/3 and 3/6 whole round.
Squid landings might start improving from mid Feb onwards when temperatures rise.
1. Normally the ban on commercial vessels will be during middle of May – early of August.
2. The small day boats normally start operating and delivering to squid suppliers from end July onwards.
3. There has been some news that the Fishing Ban of 2017 will be imposed earlier than last year but the dates have not been confirmed yet.
4. Some processors and squid suppliers are carrying inventory with major sizes 3/6 and 10/20. Supplies of 6/10 is very scarce at the time.
Trawling Ban period:-
In 2016, trawling bans were enforced as follows:-
- Gujarat – May 15th – August 15th
- Maharashtra – May 31st – July 31st
- Karnataka – May 31st – July 31st
- Kerala – June 15th – July 31st
- Tamil Nadu – April 15th – May 31st
There are proposals to increase the duration in most regions for 2017.
Season in Southern India, (Kerala) is over with few landings at this time.